Canopy 2009 Photo Contest



Well, a side trip on my part where I submitted a few on my photographs to the Photo Contest conducted by ATREE along with the organizers of 5th Canopy International Conference held at IISc Bangalore. It was judged by eminent persons in the field of wildlife photography and nature conservation:- Ganesh H Shankar, Mark Moffet, Shekar Dattatri, Sandesh Kadur. So, it was a pleasant surprise when my image taken during our Muthodi trip was given the 1st prize. I sincerely feel 90% of the credit should go to the Langur which posed for me so well with the forest canopy in the background, tailormade for this contest! 10% to me for taking and entering this image into the contest. :) 2nd place was given to Kalyan Varma for a technically difficult and beautiful image of fireflies in the night, 3rd place to Ashwini Kumar Bhat who entered a mesmerizing image of a shadow creeping across lush canopy.


My 2 shortlisted images were:



The image was taken in Timber Yard, Dandeli during a Bird-watching trip. We had finished going around the place and were returning to our vehicle. I lagged behind taking shots of the sunset seen from between the foliage. The cut and neatly piled logs gave a contrast to the nature that we were trying to find and enjoy. I composed the shot to highlight it and got this exposure after a few tries.






Early morning views of Muthodi forest range are magical from the Sheeghekhan Estates which is located on top of a small hill. We were in the balcony before dawn and enjoying the blankets of mist over the canopy before the rising sun slowly started melting them away. A langur was also sitting on a branch some distance away basking in the morning sun. Its peaceful posture with the backdrop of the Canopy was a wonderful sight and it captured the moment very well.

3 comments:

Pushpa said...

hi nanda :) those pictures are awesome. when you say composed to get right exposure, do you also develop them in a dark room by yourself?

Nanda said...

Thank you! :)
I made that comment for the timber-yard shot. By composed, I meant the frame on how I wanted it.. ex: the cut logs at the bottom and the full length of the trees with sunset through it above.
Exposure, is the metering I wanted on the camera to show the objects enough while not making the sunlight blinding. With auto-exposure (ie camera deciding) as the sun is bright, the camera will make the trees dark. So, manually I compensated by over exposing.
I use a Digital SLR camera..so no dark room work...all computer editing now if required! :)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.